Washington State Residency

The UW currently waives the non-resident tuition differential for out of state students. While this has been a long standing policy, there is no guarantee that this will always be the case.

In order to protect yourself and the dept from some future bit of fiscal madness coming out of Olympia, you should take steps to establish Washington state residency, including obtaining a Washington driver's license or state ID, upon arrival. Please note that this will be particularly important if you end up choosing to do your thesis research in a lab based at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, since tuition payments are processed differently than at the UW, and residency is more of an issue.

You will need to apply for resident status in your second year by filling out the application posted here: http://www.washington.edu/students/reg/residency.html. Please disregard the intimidating verbiage and submit the application. International students do not need to bother with this, since the UW will not grant residency to international students.