The goal of this program is to provide a formal system for postdoc career advising, including a lightweight version of a PhD thesis committee, comprised of your research advisor plus a career advisor of your choice. The program is not obligatory, but will be offered to all incoming postdocs when they first arrive.
Once your appointment has been approved, let Josh Malamy know if you’d like an initial meeting with Bill Noble, who oversees the program
- Bill will give an overview of the UWPA, the Genome Sciences postdoc group, various other useful items, and talk about career advisors
- - Postdocs electing to participate in the program have 90 days after their initial meeting with Bill to recruit a career advisor.
- - Postdocs should notify both Bill (wnoble [ a t ] uw.edu) and Josh (jmalamy [ a t ] uw.edu) of their chosen career advisor.
- - Set up your first meeting with your research advisor and your new career advisor. This should be done within the first 6 months. Notify Josh of the date the meeting took place.
- - After the first meeting, plan to meet with your research and career advisors at least annually.
- Notify Josh of any meeting dates so that it can be accurately tracked. A reminder will be sent for the annual meeting. Your research advisor, career advisor, and Bill will be notified if the annual meetings fall behind schedule.