The Department of Genome Sciences, in partnership with the National Human Genome Research Institute and the University of Washington Genomics Outreach for Minorities program, provides summer research opportunities for undergraduate students. The 2014 program will follow UW Summer Quarter dates: June 23 - August 22. Our application deadline is March 1.
Applicants must be:
- members of an ethnic group that is underrepresented nationally in the biomedical sciences (African-American, Hispanic, Native American, Pacific Islander)
- US citizens or permanent residents
- Currently enrolled in and returning to college following the summer research program to continue their undergraduate studies. We expect that competitive applicants will have had some college-level science coursework. Applicants who would like to work in a computational lab should have taken college-level calculus and have basic programming skills.
- willing to inform us of your career direction after completing your undergraduate degree, whether you opt for graduate school, medical school, or another career path.
- gain outstanding research experience
paid room & board
paid travel for those outside the Seattle area
Please be aware that this program does not provide health insurance coverage. Our assumption is that you will have coverage either from your parents or your university.
In addition to your lab research, you will have a variety of supplemental academic activities. This year we will have writing and presentation workshops, faculty research talks, poster sessions, and a GRE prep session. You'll also have plenty of free time to explore Seattle.